The Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS) is a national education institution committed to the equitable, sustainable and efficient transformation of Indian settlements. IIHS aims to establish an independently funded and managed national university of eminence for research and innovation focused on the challenges and opportunities of India’s urban transition. The proposed IIHS University will be an institution of eminence that will host an integrated programme of quality campus-based education and research, training and lifelong learning for working professionals, distance and blended learning, as well as a whole array of practice and advisory services. The university will have a strong interdisciplinary orientation bringing together theory and praxis that is grounded in the South Asian context and also engages with and draws from knowledge across the globe.
About the Urban Fellows Programme (UFP)
India’s urban transition is unprecedented in scale and complexity. Within it lie both the opportunities of increased economic growth and employment as well as the challenges of persistent inequality, extreme deprivation and environmental degradation. IIHS has been running the Urban Fellows Programme to foster a new generation of urban practitioners and change makers, to become part of shaping this transition.
The Urban Fellows Programme (UFP) is a scholarship-based, nine-month, full-time, residential, inter-disciplinary fellowship for recent graduates and young professionals from varied educational backgrounds or practice domains.
The Associate/ Senior Associate – Placements will be assisting in delivering multi-sector placements, internships, and effective career development support for IIHS graduates, starting with the Urban Fellows Programme.
The incumbent will help in the development of the placement and career support system and extend support in maintaining a database of suitable organisations and institutions where IIHS graduates can potentially find full time employment and internships. The role will also include managing alumni relations and assisting with academic outreach as required.
Location: This position is based in Bengaluru and may entail travel to other locations in India.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Liaising with faculty, student mentors and alumni to assist in the identification of opportunities for students’ internships and placements, and building a multi- sectoral placements database of organisations;
- Maintaining relevant placement information and undertaking research into domain relevant resources to curate potential opportunities for students’ internships and placements, and supplementing the placements database in line with the disciplinary mix and interests of students;
- Initiating and managing relationship building activities, including creation of networking opportunities for students with potential recruitment organisations;
- Providing support to students and graduates by creating a resource bank for CV preparation, resources to aid the interviewing process, as well as helping in conducting interactive events, identifying potential career paths, etc.;
- Helping with the preparation of reports, brochures, website materials, social media blurbs as well as other documentation (as required) for activities related to internships and placements;
- Helping with the timely dissemination of placement information and documentation to academic staff and students;
- Assisting with the coordination and follow-up on students’ applications in response to different internship and placement opportunities, in accordance with contractual obligations;
- Collecting feedback from students and recruitment organisations;
- Helping to coordinate with other teams and functions at IIHS, including HR, Operations, Finance, as required for tasks related to internships and placements;
- Helping to ensure fair, ethical and professional work practices in accordance with the Code of Conduct;
- Assisting with alumni relationship building activities for internships, placements and other forms of long- term institution building as required;
- Assisting with outreach activities as required with the launch of every new UFP cycle;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, training, practice, operations and others;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-Building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS, and performing miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Structure and Reporting
The Associate/ Senior Associate – Placements will report to the Senior Manager – Academics and will be required to collaborate effectively with the Academic Committee, a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organisations, and students.
The ideal candidate should have:
- A Master’s or higher degree either in function related fields (such as Business Management, Marketing, Communication, Psychology, Human Resources, Higher Education) or in domain related fields (such as Urban Studies, Development Studies, Urban Planning, Economics, Geography, Sociology, Political Science or other relevant Social Sciences);
- 3 – 6 years of experience in student placements, either within University or similar complex organisation; prior experience in the area of placements, particularly with graduates in the Social Sciences, Humanities and/ or related to the urban sector, such as Architecture, Planning, Civil Engineering etc., would be an advantage;
- An understanding of marketing communication and branding;
- Good time management and organisational skills with the ability to plan, implement and evaluate placement projects in a diverse and complex work environment under limited supervision;
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills;
- The ability to work effectively as a member of a team;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop relationships and liaise with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels and from a broad range of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds;
- Strong computer literacy skills and information technology capabilities with a large range of software, including Microsoft Office suite, email and web management, with the capacity to quickly learn new systems.
This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
How to apply: Online Application
Last Date to Apply: The search will remain open until the position is filled.
Official Information available at: IIHS_Career