|Date Posted||April 23, 2019|
|Estimated Salary or Stipend||Negotiable|
|Salary Currency||Nepalese rupee|
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Objectives of the Internship:
Enhance the educational experience of graduate students through practical and guided hands-on exposure and involvement in UNICEF Humanitarian and Development work across the South Asia Region aimed at strengthening community resilience;
Provide graduate students with an exposure to the working environment of a multilateral organization and a better understanding of UNICEF’s goals and activities in areas of emergency preparedness and response (EPR).
Expected results (measurable results):
Under the supervision of the Regional Emergency Advisor contribute to the overall work plan of the ROSA Emergency Unit by further strengthening a systematic approach of information sharing and Knowledge Management for ROSA Emergency Section and country offices. Prepare thematic paper(s) on Youth in Emergencies and/or another selected core topic. Support overall EPR work which may include among others attending and reporting of emergency meetings and regional webinars; monitoring of developing situations etc.
1. Job no: 521430
2. Position type: Internship
3. Location: Nepal
4. Division/Equivalent: Kathmandu(ROSA)
5. School/Unit: Regional Services Div (SAR), Kathmandu
6. Department/Office: Reg Serv - Prog Section, Kathmandu
7. Categories: Emergency Programme, Internship
Duration: *Three months, (with the possibility of extension (1 June - 31 August 2019)
*Advertised: Apr 16, 2019, Nepal Standard Time
*Application close: May 08 2019 Nepal Standard Time
Duties and responsibilities
Key tasks and responsibilities:
1. Support overall core activities of the Emergency Unit as they relate to EPR and DRR. Use acquired insights to strengthen and further develop knowledge management approach.
2. Liaise with other sections and country offices to align emergency unit approach with regional knowledge sharing strategy and services.
3. Develop avenues, methods and tools to share information in an appropriate and effective way. Organize and/or roll out webinars, web portal, templates for sharing of comparative experiences, best practices and lessons learnt.
4. Support the country offices to develop case studies on EPR & DRR and develop new knowledge management products
5. Provide inputs on Regional Country Briefing Notes on EPR & DRR
6. Support regional office in preparing documents for workshops and trainings
7. Prepare a paper on Youth in Emergencies (working with and for young people in emergency setting in South Asia
Recently completed or currently pursuing a University Degree in international relations, development studies, politics, social science or a similar discipline.
Skills and Experience:
1. Advanced research and analytical skills and the ability to synthesize data;
2. Familiarity with equity issues in the fields of emergency response, preparedness, and disaster risk management;
3. Strong written and verbal communication skills;
4. Well-organized and able to present ideas in a concise and logical format, including proven ability to summarize lengthy and complex information into short and simple language.
How to apply
Apply through the official Wesite of the UNICEF
Job Location Street Address
Reg Serv - Prog Section, Kathmandu