|Date Posted||April 28, 2019|
|Estimated Salary or Stipend||Negotiable|
|Experience Requirement||At least 5-6 years of work-experience|
The Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS) is a national education institution committed to
the equitable, sustainable and efficient transformation of Indian settlements.
IIHS aims to establish an independently funded and managed national university for research and
innovation focused on the challenges and opportunities of India’s urban transition. The proposed
IIHS University will host an integrated programme of quality campus-based education and
research, training and lifelong learning for working professionals, distance and blended learning,
as well as a whole array of practice and advisory services. The university will have a strong
interdisciplinary orientation bringing together theory and praxis that is grounded in the South
Asian context and also engages with and draws from knowledge across the globe.
For more information, please see http://www.iihs.co.in
The Planning Consultant shall be a part of an IIHS Project Team working on land records
management and associated e-governance support initiatives. The Planning Consultant will work
on the planning related aspects of land governance and administration, including planning and
policy questions on the specifics of land ownership, use, transfer, registration, titling, informality,
varied tenure systems and other related legal-policy issues. This will involve carrying out detailed
evidence based and interpretative analysis of legal, institutional and on-the-ground situation in the
context of national and state level initiatives, as well as assistance in implementation of various
such initiatives, and teaching and training activities related to it. The position is based in our Delhi
or Bengaluru office and involves significant travel and field-work in select locations.
IIHS is recruiting one candidate for the position of Planning Consultant. The candidate is expected
to join at the earliest and the search shall remain open until the position is filled.
Duties and responsibilities
The Planning Consultant will be required to:
1. Be a part of the team working on land governance and management initiatives and carry out detailed secondary and primary data collection and analyses on ongoing initiatives in select sites, various states and at the national levels;
2. Engage in reviewing and developing improved systems of land management in the context of de facto and de jure planning, integrated land information management system, the political economy of land, and implementation outcomes for different stakeholder groups;
3. Carry out data collection and analyses of detailed aspects of the project pertaining to planning (including Master Plans, Regional Plans, and other Plans and instruments of land policy), law and policy aspects of land administration including those in urban, peri-urban and rural areas;
4. Translate the experiences from practice into knowledge to contribute to research. This would include publication of journal articles, working papers, case studies etc.;
5. Provide support in content development and assist in course delivery for training and capacity building initiatives related to land management, by using sectoral expertise along with various pedagogical approaches;
6. Provide support on the GIS, IT, and e-governance aspects of land administration, and in developing improved systems of acquisition, processing, and storage of land data; their transactions and production of relevant outputs;
7. Engage with government officials and other relevant stakeholders on the above aspects;
Planning Consultant – Land Project 3
1. Assist in documentation and preparation of reports and outputs based on analyses of planning and institutional aspects of land law administration as needed;
2. Assist in project implementation tasks, including helping setting up and managing site offices/teams; carrying out and managing field-work; delivering high-quality value-for-money outputs; managing clients; ensuring cost-effectiveness of assignments, and assisting in reviewing and evaluating project performance;
3. Participate in other activities of IIHS, including academics and teaching as required in relevant IIHS programmes/ courses, research, and other operations.
The candidate should at least have a Master’s in Planning, relevant experience in related areas and excellent knowledge of Master and Regional Development Plans in India.
Candidates with Ph.Ds. are also encouraged to apply.
The candidate shall have good analytical skills and proficiency in using GIS/Planning Applications apart from other MS Office applications. The position requires excellent spoken and written English, whereas spoken and reading skills in Hindi or Kannada is preferable.
How to apply
Please email an updated resume, along with a cover letter addressing how you meet the above
requirements, to [email protected]
Job Location Street Address
No. 197/36, 2nd Main Road
Bengaluru 560 080. India